The literacy and numeracy Catch-up Premium gives schools additional funding to support Year 7 pupils who achieve significantly below the ‘secondary ready’ score of 100 in reading or mathematics at the end of Key Stage 2.
All state-funded schools with Year 7 pupils receive this funding.
For the academic year 2018-19 Winterton Community Academy’s allocation was £6806.
- To reduce the attainment gaps between those who have met or exceeded the national expectations and those who have not.
- To equip all pupils with at least the basic skills and understanding to successfully access the curriculum and achieve their potential, with a focus on the core skills in mathematics or comprehension, sentence structures and language analysis in English.
- To raise the confidence and self-esteem of the pupils as they are more capable to engage with the curriculum offered.
- Creation of timetabled small nuture groups in Year 7 Mathematics and English, led by specialised staff to develop competence and confidence in the core skills.
- Renewed investment in a dyslexia screener to allow for intervention focused on the needs of the individual.
- Weekly reading support from the Literacy Support Coordinator.